Banners block for moodle 2.3
As my moodle sites act as hubs for communication with our learning communities (staff, students and parents) and our front pages get roughly 5 hits per user per day, it is prime real estate for promoting events, courses and activities.
One of the ways we do this is through community contributed banners:
(Prototype on a live moodle 1.9 site)
I’ve just released to github the source for a moodle 2.3 banner block which allows banners to be uploaded by users and displayed in an animated carousel.
Note that in Moodle 2 you can configure your theme to display block regions where you like – I’ve added a block region to the top of my middle column and placed a banner block there.
The video shows a second banner block [Star Pupils] of different image dimensions
(moodle 2.3 demo – test site)
- Uploaded banners can be hyperlinked to a user specified URL
- Banners can be uploaded from a given date for a given number of days
- The banner block is styled to take up minimal vertical height – a title/title strip can be added if required.
For each banner block instance
- The dimensions of the upload banner can be configured – non-conforming banners are rejected
- The display time per banner can be configured
- Users can pause and scroll manually through the banners
- The max number of days for a banner to be displayed can be configured
- The block can be configured to accept posts from everyone or just block editors
We find all our best designed banners are created by students 🙂